Ames Straw Poll
|US 2012 Presidential Election|
The Ames Straw Poll (also called Iowa Straw Poll) is a straw poll that takes place in Ames, Iowa. The Ames Straw Poll will be held in August in an election cycle where a Republican presidential nomination is undecided. The Ames Straw Poll is important because it draws voters from all across the state. Even non Republicans are allowed to vote in the Ames Straw Poll. The Ames Straw Poll was first held in 1979.
The 2011 Ames Straw Poll will be held on August 13, 2011 at the Hilton Coliseum on the campus of Iowa State University.
Real Estate Auction
The bidding for the Ames Straw Poll real estate auction was held on June 23, 2011. Ron Paul is emerged the winner of the bid. The bid is to rent space outside the arena.
- Highest Bidder - Ron Paul $31,000.00
- Second highest bidder is Thaddeus McCotter, who bought a lot for $18,000.00
- Michele Bachmann and Herman Cain each bidded for a lot for $17,000.00.
- Rick Santorum bidded $16,000.00 for his lot.
- Tim Pawlenty spent $15,000.00
- Newt Gingrich did not bid
Candidates on Ballot
- Michele Bachmann - Minnesota Representative
- Herman Cain - Businessman
- Ron Paul - Texas Representative
- Tim Pawlenty - Minnesota Governor
- Rick Santorum - Former Pennslyvania Senator
- Thaddeus McCotter - Michigan Representative
- Mitt Romney - Former Governor
- Jon Huntsman - Former Governor
- Newt Gingrich - Former House Speaker
- Iowa GOP added Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman on the Ames Straw Poll ballot even though they announced that they wouldn't compete this year.
- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is also on the ballot
- Former Alaska Governor and 2008 Vice-Presidential candidate Sarah Palin was left off the ballot. Texas Governor Rick Perry who hasn't made up his mind about running for the 2012 Presidential Election is also left off.
|6||Rick Perry (Write-in)||718||4.3%|